August 20, 2008

Teach India campaign - Maitree meeting


Today I went to Maitree, the NGO at their RKPuram, Sector XIII, New Delhi office and it was an experience that I wish to share with you. (I mistook the dates to meet the people at Maitree as 22-24 Aug instead of 20-22 Aug.) There is a query, a quandry that I need help resolving. Will look forward to your comments and suggestions. Here goes:

Today (20th August 2008), after trying out the perspective exercises in my art class, I sauntered out to my car. It was surprisingly quite pleasant and sunny at the same time. There was a consistent comforting breeze. I sat down, turned the ignition, checked in the mirror, (don't know if I really saw myself or was it simply a nervous gesture) and swung the vehicle into the fast lane. It took me 10 mts to reach Anant Ram Dairy. Told that it is a slum, expected some shoddy mud houses, dirt and filth on the streets, open drains and lots of semi-naked children playing on the streets. Images of 'KAANTA' (illegal power connection) also flickered through. Boy! Was I in for a very pleasant surprise. Most of the houses would put posh delhi colonies to shame. Though there were some obsolete, rundown, single storey shacks looking quite out of place now with the surroundings having changed for the better. The roads were still constricted (this couldnt have been helped for obvious reasons. when we encroach beyond our houses, the road is what gets reduced) I sensibly left my Qualis parked out of the colony. The marble and granite address plates outside the houses read 'ARD complex'. It took me a while to decipher the acronym - Anant Ram Dairy. Talk about my self assessment taking a beating.

Found the place and there were a couple of kids trying to open the door, quite unsuccessfully. I offered to help and it was locked. Then I realised the the door on the left to it opened into the same building. I walked in while the kids stayed out. My nervousness was at its peak, throat parched, furtive glances, all the signs of a high BP situation. I walked into a palce which climbed a couple of steps into a glass door with ornate wooden frame. Out walked a lady who beckoned me in. I followed her directions. I remembered the kids outside and I voiced my concern for them. I am not sure if she heard me (I squeaked would be more appropriate) but that door was opened for them. I was soon seated in a smallish but quite competently, proffessionally managed, official space. Before we could start off, another guy walked in. I was suddenly the senior one (by 2-3 minutes) He didn't look any better than me. We were asked to briefly tell about ourselves; past and present. He was fresh out of Engg. college and was to join an IT major. I told them that I am attending art classes. (I am yet to work out how to tell people that I don't work, in the least no. of words, and still keep their attantion on me as trustworthy)

Introductions done, she told us about their NGO, history and current projects. They are currently running a child education program and that's where TeachIndia and we, as volunteers come in. There was a long discussion about what is expected of us (not much for they will assign 2 children to each volunteer and based on the schedule that the volunteer can take, will fine tune the program.
I was completely disarmed by the simple yet determined nature of the lady in question. Not feeling nervous anymore, I put across a lot of questions, that I felt were pertinent. They have another center in Sonia Vihar, in RKPuram (but on the other side of Ring road, near Sangam cinema) where they just have space for a classroom and a women-empowerment tailoring workshop. We were asked for our preference of venue (we decided to confirm after we see the other center, i.ie. tomorrow) and time ( they run 2 classes from 3 to 4.30pm for children upto the 5th class, and from 4.30 to 6pm for children senior to the 5th class (upto the 9th).

We have decided that tomorrow the three of us (me, the lady and the other fellow, whose name is Akshay(!)) will go to the center and then take a call on the venue and timings. Now comes the quandry. Help me out guys. I wanted to confirm 5 days (mon. to fri.) from 3-6 pm. The minimum is 1 class (either of the 2 timings) atleast once a week. I want to go the whole way. But wonder if I'll be able to do it. I discussed with my wife and she reco-ed that I do the 3-4.30pm class, as that would be right after my art class (10-2pm) and in the same area. I can be back home by 5-5.30pm and still cope with my art homework and personal life. My mondays, wednesdays and fridays are days for practice and think that they will be reasonably lighter. I am now thinking of suggesting a 3-4.30pm slot on Mon, Wed, and Fridays. I can then take stock of the time and energy that I am left with and then increase the workload. What do you think? Please let me know your suggestions. I need to give my decision tomorrow.

Now for the best part of the trip. Meeting the children. Classes are conducted in a larger hall in the basement of the same building. The door the kids were banging led there. We went down and were immediately swarmed with greetings in english 'Good afternoon Ma'am' Good afternoon Sir'. Some twenty odd voiced sang in. I was overwhelmed and was sure that I wanted to be a part of this. The kids sat on a carpet facing the door and the board on the wall next to the door. They seemed busy bundles of joy, naughtiness and life. I didnt know that I would feel as I did then. I am sorry but my vocabulary is pretty restricted and am short on words to express what I felt. But for sure this was one experience that will stay with me for a long time, purely for the way I felt.

Please send me your advice and I will let you know tomorrow of my commitment to the cause.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aakshu...you exemplify the spirit of the Aakshat I've known. I wish the wasted teens in India, follow your footsteps, and learn something in the process. I'm happy to know you ! keep up the Maitree path. It truly is something we need.

aakshat said...

Thanx Anand.

Yeah! Sure, if only more of the educated Indians would pick up the baton and empower the children around them with the colossal power of knowledge, education and self-belief.

Thanx for your kind words.

(Btw, what will you do now with this info? How will you try to make a difference? Let mw know. For I care.)

One Pound of Cannoli Cream to Go, Please! said...

Congrats, Dada! What a great idea and cause! Education is so vital. And instead of asking who will do something about it, you are!!