July 16, 2008

Road trip to Agra from Delhi (Part III - Hotel to Home - Last leg)

With a slight limp, I walked out of the lift as it opened its doors to let me out of the hotel. I was now limping quite visibly and obviously. Each step was shooting pain right from my right knee upwards and upwards, till my eyes had started to moisten. I paid the parking attendant and sat down in the driver's seat. I took a moment to take deep breath and calm my nerves. I turned the key. Bhrrrrr. Bhrrrrrrrrrr. Nothing absolutely, just some initial response but the engine wouldn't catch. The car refused to start. Shit!

It was already late evening and the surroundings were looking a bit deserted and gloomy. I opened the hood of the car and located the torch to help me see something in the darkness. I knew that it was something to do with the battery wiring. Tugged on the wires and generally checked for some loose connection. Checked the ignition and still there was no response. I called my friend, who usually repairs my car. Luck was on my side and he answered. Luck left me and he told me that his staff was long gone. He told me to try something and if nothing worked to call him back. I tried, really I did, but it wasn't good enough. This is when I start searching for a garage. Most were closed. I found one open but still too late, as the electrician had already left and the others were in no mood to check my car. They directed me to another garage down the road. Same story - electrician had left. Maybe it was the look on my face – disgust, dejection, and pain (So much walking had worsened the pain. I was now hobbling awkwardly.) that prompted them to remember that he might be back. I waited for about 5 minutes and he came. Drunk! Great! He heard me out without falling down, actually quite patiently and then told me that he would only start the car, not repair it. What to do? I asked him to follow me. 'Rs. 200'. Bastard! He knew the desperation of the situation. I hobbled and he followed me almost identically. Although, I don't think it was a limp for him, just plain intoxication.

He was carrying a plastic bag full of strange stuff. He rummaged through the bag and removed a heavily entangled bunch of wire with a bulb connected at one end. The rest of the length was one serious mess. He connected the wires to the battery. The wire was cut and reconnected in several places and these connections were quite loose. The bulb decided to play hide and seek. It developed disco fever. On! Off! On! Off!... He asked me to keep watching out for the light of the heater coil (on the dashboard) to go on. It flickered once or twice and then there was a continuous glow. I turned the key in the ignition and the engine caught. Such nice and rhythmic noise. Music to my ears. By now my hands were black, my T-shirt was clinging to my body and felt like a piece of me, my head was throbbing and the knee had a mind of its own. I asked him for the reason of the problem. He didn't know. Just some wire was loose. Which one? He didn't know. Bastard! I still had to give him Rs.200, as promised. Screwed, well and truly screwed.

I left the parking lot and joined the procession. The traffic had built up even more. I cruised along and reached home. As I opened the door, I was mobbed. My dogs went mad to see me back. Unfortunately, I didn't share their enthusiasm, even though I was really happy to see them. I was feeling nauseous. The reason could have been tiredness, pain, frustration, and even hunger. My wife had not returned home, but thankfully there was food in the refrigerator. I was relieved to see the food. I filled their bowls with the dog food and while they gobbled it up, tried to rejuvenate my senses with a light (?) Vodka + Coke concoction. Only after the liquid had burned its path through my choked throat did I go and washed my hands and face. Either the drink or the wash or the combination of the two. Whatever! I felt slightly better.

As I was putting on their leashes, I noticed that the white one had blue patches all around her mouth and paws. She had chewed up a pen. Now I started to notice things that I had deliberately avoided. Their water bowl was empty. It was all on the floor and they had been taking wet slides through it. Now I started to lose my mind. My tired knee was also hurting like hell. It felt as if I was going mad. I felt sweaty, dirty, tired and really irritated. I decided to take a bath. I left their leashes on during the bath. In between, the phone rang. It was my parents, who wanted to go out for a dinner (?) No way was I going out in the mental and physical condition that I was in.

Refreshed a bit by the bath, I took the patient canines for a lame walk. The weather didn't seem as nice as it had felt earlier. The wet road was also no longer enticing. Still we splashed through the water logged street. Came back home. Dirty paws, and dirty torsos forced me to give them a thorough wet towel wipe. Once done, I waited for my lady love to arrive. She came but we actually ate in silence.

Later as I settled down on the bed with her next to me, the smaller dog curled up next to me on the bed. The bigger one looked me in the eye, sniffed me and then lay down beside the bed. I was jolted with a bolt of lightning. I realised that here I was with the love of my life. All the frustration and tiredness left me. Now I feel that I love them all. To hell with the touts and middlemen and the many problems and challenges that I encountered on my trip. This was the moment that I should cherish, and remember. The rest was not important. The lesson learnt, helped me get a good sleep. But as it always happens, I forgot all about it by the morning. The trip was finally over.

No comments: